[TowerTalk] Weather Stations ( sort of off topic)

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Sep 19 09:45:42 EDT 2022

I've used the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather system
successfully for many years. The wireless communication has been
flawless and I've never had any RFI problem.

I have the model with the 24-hour fan-aspirated radiation shield for the
outdoor temperature and humidity sensors. I have replaced that fan once;
but the design operates the fan overnight on two NiCd C cells so the fan
voltage is low.

All outdoor weather sensor suites require cleaning occasionally,
especially the rain funnel and tipping bucket/spoon. I disassemble and
thoroughly clean mine about every 24 months.

I have an additional Vantage Vue display console that receives data from
the Vantage Pro 2 sensor suite; that second wireless connection has also
been flawless.

I also have a WeatherLink Live system that links the weather system to
the Internet; this allows me to see my weather data on-line or on my
cell phone.

I know there are less expensive weather monitor systems available but I
  doubt you can beat the reliability of the Davis Instrument products.
Note that there is also a slightly downgraded system called Vantage Vue
that has most of the features of the Vantage Pro; I believe it uses the
same wireless communication system.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB