[TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Mon Sep 19 17:56:11 EDT 2022

Wondering whether there is any substantial difference between #12 solid
THHN and #12 PVC jacketed copperweld (steel) in terms of cutting a
dipole to length.

I'm in the process of installing a K8UR style 80M four square. I trimmed
the first element to length using THHN. Then I decided that I should use
steel wire for at least the top half of the elements because of the high
wire tension I ended up with after pulling the feed-point out far enough
from the array center. It's an issue with not enough acreage around the
tower.

Even so I ended up with a 50 ohm antenna rather than the desired 30-40
ohm antenna per the DXE instruction manual. But that's an entirely
difference issue (though I'd appreciate any comments on that as well).

Should I expect the steel wire lengths to be pretty close to the THHN
lengths, or should I re-do the initial step of carefully cutting the
first element in isolation?

TIA!

-Steve K8LX