[TowerTalk] Weather Stations ( sort of off topic)

Ken Alker ka6ken at alker.net
Tue Sep 20 11:26:48 EDT 2022

I have the Tempest as well.  It has no moving parts, yet it measures
rainfall and wind speed (and other data points including lightning,
barometric pressure, humidity, UV index, etc.).  It uses a haptic rain
sensor.  It can be put in direct sunlight (a software algorithm compensates
for temperature accordingly).  I have not done exhaustive A-B comparisons
to test rainfall and wind, but it seems to be fairly accurate (good enough
for the casual observer, like me).  I have had it since WeatherFlow did
their original crowdfunding capital raise (over two years ago).  Others
have been impressed enough by it that the Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club
(SBARC) will be replacing the mechanical weather station on Diablo Peak
with a Tempest soon (if not already).  Per Wikipedia, "Devils Peak (or
Mount Diablo or Diablo Peak) at 2,429 feet (740 m) is ... located on Santa
Cruz Island ... [and] is the highest mountain on an ocean island in the
contiguous 48 states..."  SBARC has a repeater on Diablo Peak and the
weather is very intense being out in the middle of the ocean.  The
mechanical weather stations do not survive long in that climate and
replacing parts is not easy or practical since travel is typically via
shared helicopter trips and infrequent (and costly, to someone).  We'll see
how the Tempest holds up over time.

For Kim (N5OP) - as a research meteorologist, do you have any opinions on
this device?

Ken Alker, KA6KEN
Goleta, CA

--On Monday, September 19, 2022 11:20 AM -0400 Jim Miller