[TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Sep 20 13:24:23 EDT 2022

On 9/20/2022 10:10 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> The dielectric loading of insulation makes the wire electrically longer
> for RF.  EZNEC can model it, if you know the dielectric constant
> (usually around 3 for PVC, nylon) and thickness.
>
> The height of the dipole has a larger effect.  Plus for 160 & 80 quality
> copperweld is needed with thick copper, so the internal field (skin
> depth) is in the copper, not in the steel which will cause high losses.

EZNEC can also model the effect of height if you know what your soil is
like. It correctly predicted a good match to 75 ohm coax for an antenna
at about 40 ft over lousy soil for a CQP setup we did, and it comes
pretty close to measurements (~ 85 ohms) for my very high dipoles over
lousy soil.

73, Jim K9YC