[TowerTalk] Need some actual Inv V lengths using 14ga THHN

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 02:15:36 EDT 2022

You're thinking in terms of the wrong "return path".  The current is
only indirectly affected by the dielectric.  The current creates a
magnetic field around the wire, but the difference in voltage along the
wire is an electric field (obviously created by the current distribution
along the wire) that is affected by the dielectric. The "return path" of
interest here is simply the effect on the current caused by the
difference in the electric field.  It's all intertwined, is affected by
the dielectric, and has almost nothing to do with ground as far as the
dielectric goes.  That description may not be 100% rigorous, but it's
close and it's how I picture it all in my mind.

EZNEC is now a free download and is trivially easy to learn for what you
want to know.

I don't intend to model it myself since it would be so easy for you to
do it yourself, but I'd bet that you'll find that ground proximity has a
greater effect on the resonant length of the wire than the insulation
does ... and as you implied the actual distance to the effective ground
is typically unknown.

Unless you get really lucky you're going to be doing some trimming anyway.

73,
Dave   AB7E