[TowerTalk] YAESU 2800 ROTOR...PROBLEM

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun Sep 25 18:26:09 EDT 2022

Definitely there are reports of water related issues with all Yaesu rotator
connectors. For me the two G-2800DXA's that I had in Aruba worked perfectly
with just a little silicone caulk over the boot. It is interesting that you
got some water out of the connector. I am not really sure if the boot helps
or hinders making the connection waterproof. I wonder if there is now some
pin corrosion or moisture left. Can you polish the pins and sockets with
some very fine paper, maybe spray it with DeOxit and run a hair dryer on it
to thoroughly dry it?  If you see shorts during failure modes, is Belize's
rain water really conductive enough to create a short?  If you still have
trouble you may want to swap the rotator with one in another position to see
what happens.

GL
John KK9A

k4xs wrote:

I know that water intrusion into the connection plug at the base of the 2800
rotor can be an issue.  So when I installed my 5 2800s I used Dap bathtub
caulk to seal the front of the "boot" that slides the female plug.  I also
caulked the end of the boot that slides over the cable.
All was good for about 9 months.  I have developed issues with 3 of the
rotors...flakey readings on the meters, as well as slow/eratic
rotation...all signs of water intrusion.
First step was to switch out the bad control boxes with the good ones...no
change.  Next, I went up the tower and remove the caulk and boots from the 3
"bad" rotors.  All 3 had some degree of leakage.  Not much but enough to
cause an issue.  I used Q-tips to dry the male plug in the rotor.  The
female plug connected to the cable was shaken to nremove any water, (very
little came out) and then I blew hard quite a few times to blow any moisture
left.  I then reconnected the cable to all three.  Before caulking again,
the xyl rotated all 3 antennas...all was normal, so I recaulked everything.
No rain that night, but the next day flaky operation was back.  I repeated
the same fix a couple days later and all was good, for a day.  I knw the
cables are good  because it works fine after cleaning out the connection.,
The cables when not connected to the rotor after fixing show no shorts, but
when there is an issue with the rotors they do show shorts. Is it possible
for the water to intrude into the 2800, where it would act as a reservoir
for water?  Any thoughts on this would help.
73  Bill K4XS/V31XX