[TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Sep 27 19:39:04 EDT 2022

On 9/27/22 4:04 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
> Thanks Jim.
>
> I know this is a scenario of diminishing returns...how many skin
> depths does one shoot for?

That's an interesting question.  It has to do with the fraction of
current in the "skin".  If you've got 5 skin depths, then almost all of
the current is in the copper. The current density goes as
exp(-d/skindepth) and exp(-5) is 0.007 - so 99.3% is flowing in the top
5 skin depths.

But as microwave people plating gold over nickel have found, if you're
at the 1 skin depth, then you're only down to 37% at that level, so a
fair amount of the current is flowing in whatever is underneath. And if
"underneath" is ferromagnetic, then the skin depth in *that* is really
tiny, so all the current is flowing in a tiny area, so the loss is high.

For 2 skin depths, you're down to 86.5%, and 13.5% is in the
underneath.  That's like 0.6 dB, if you assume all the 13.5 is loss.

Note: this doesn't even get into "round" conductors. As long as skin
depth << diameter, then you can treat it as a flat plate.