[TowerTalk] "butter snot"

Grant Hopper kb7wsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:01:04 EDT 2022

What I've learned is to understand the use and the materials involved.
Aluminum? Steel? Copper? Different metals require different approaches.
Based on that, and over the last 30 years or so, I've had no problems and
good results. The two items I use for assembling aluminum antennas are
Penetrox A and Jet Lube SS-30.

"Butter-it's-not" was a copper based conductive anti-ox with anti-seize
properties.  The image at the bottom of the page shows just how "coppery"
it was.
https://www.dolstra.nl/Antennes/HF/Verticals/Butternut%20ant/Butternut%20ant.htm

Penetrox A is specifically for aluminum* and is designed to prevent
oxidation.  The manufacturer says nothing about it's (sole) purpose to only
be enhancing conductivity.  *It's does say that it is specifically designed
to be used for aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to conduit, and aluminum to
copper connections. It also specifically says it's to prevent oxidation.
This is straight from the spec sheet.  A petroleum base with zinc in
suspension.  It's made by Burnady (Hubbel company) now.  In Graybar's
product listing it says "It is an oxide-inhibiting compound for preventing
galvanic corrosion and enhancing the connection in electrical joints. It
can be used in aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to copper, and aluminum to
conduit applications."

That sounds like just the stuff for antenna rehab. However...

Jet Lube SS-30 is made by Jet Lube (a Whitmore company) and is marketed as
an anti-seize and a thread lubricant (anti-galling compound) made from
petroleum base (apparently there is clay in there too!) and copper in
suspension.  It's more or less an fancier and more versatile version of
Penetrox.  Check out the marketing information:
https://www.jetlube.com/product/ss-30-anti-seize-thread-lubricant  It's
recommended for use in UNDERSEA applications (I think that's kinda cool!)
and says " It works equally well on a wide range of similar and dissimilar
metals and mating parts, including steel, cast iron, brass, plastics,
titanium gasket materials and packings. SS-30 is conductive and works well
in protecting electrical contacts from corrosion."

Jet Lube SS-30 is pretty much the "Butter-it's-not" replacement.
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/jtl-12555

Though I think it might be slightly cheaper to get it on Amazon since I
don't think shipping is free at DX Engineering until you order more than
$100.

Good luck with your project!

73,
Grant