[TowerTalk] Portable soldering iron

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 01:04:38 EDT 2022

> Those can scorch the cable/wire insulation you are trying to solder.
> (That propane flame has to go somewhere.)

There used to be models that had a flame chamber filled with metal mesh,
more of a catalytic convertor looking thing, that a burner.  I think
they ran on a butane cartridge.  I saw one in use once, there was an
orange glow through the holes, the tip had a plastic cover with a
cigarette lighter looking striker.  I used to see them a lot in the
80's, and 90's.  Still heat, but not the licks of flame coming out.  I
wonder if there are still out there?

Kurt