[TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!

steve_VE6WZ ve6wz at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 16 22:43:20 EDT 2023

Hi Dick,

As others have said, also add a GDT across the Beverage feed box, between antenna and gnd.
Adding another across the coax at the feed box is good prevention too.
This will prevent vaporizing the matching transformer.

Buy a lot of those GDTs.  Anything that is exposed to a potential lightning surge can use one.
I buy 100 at a time.

What some may not know, is that these Gas Discharge Tubes (GDT) are exactly what you find inside of the coax lightning arrestors like Alpha Delta and others.

At my remote station, ANYTHING that is outside in the field, and anything that enters the shack has a GDT on an exposed line. This includes all coax feeds and DC control lines going to boxes in the field.
Add some at the shack entry too.

A problem with using a fuse in series is that they may not react fast enough to protect what is down stream. A GDT is designed for this purpose. It is fast and designed to dissipate the energy to ground to limit damage.

73, de steve ve6wz

Sent from Mail for Windows