[TowerTalk] Steel mast paint preparation

w5wz at w5wz.com w5wz at w5wz.com
Thu Apr 20 12:26:29 EDT 2023

Steve,

I have used a Sherwin Williams Industrial Alkyld Primer and Industrial
Alkyld Paint in battleship grey on my non-galvanized masts.  Two coats
of primer, two coats of paint.  A sponge ball on a string to paint the
interior or another method as described.

Plug one end and set that end on the ground, with the other end on a
sawhorse.
Fill the tube with some primer/paint and plug the fill hole.
Pick up the low end to level and roll the tube back and forth to coat
the interior well.
Lower one end again.
Remove the fill plug.
Remove the low-end plug over a paint roller tray, and use what drains
out to paint the outside of the mast.

Scott, W5WZ