[TowerTalk] PL-259 Electrical Joint Compound

John Nitzke nitzke at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 4 09:06:54 EST 2023

Weather-Proofing Grease: Another View

Hi Paul,

     Its working action is well-known, but the concept of dielectric grease always seemed counterproductive to me for a connection where I want a good, permanent, low-resistance connection.

     I’ve read the pros and cons, of conductive and non-conductive greases. I think I saw that same W8JL comparison back in the day. And I’m aware of fine performance from NoAlox and the others with tiny bits of metal to bite into the surfaces. However, I made a different choice.

     About 15 years ago I bought a 2.8 ounce tube of M.G. Chemicals’ carbon conductive grease. No metal, just carbon. Yes, itdoes conduct electricity. I started using it then to protect weather-exposed electrical joints, including coax connectors. I also applied it to car battery terminals and sparkplug connectors, all with no problems.

     And that same tube will likely last the rest of my life – it doesn’t take much for one joint – just a thin film.

     It is sold by Amazon and Digikey.

     One strong caution, though, protect clothing and wear gloves. It will never completely wash out of cloth and your fingers will be stained black for days,until the skin wears off.

          73 de KF1KI, -John