[TowerTalk] Stacking offset compensation

Steve Harrison k0xp at k0xp.com
Thu Dec 28 12:37:08 EST 2023

Ed, which way did you model it: fore-and-aft, or did you also model
side-to-side??

It seems intuitive that if the offset is side-to-side (STS), then the
main distortion would be the main lobe would decrease somewhat and be
offset to one side, while the number of major sidelobes increased, as
well as their amplitudes. The total amount of energy within a pattern
must remain the same; so when you subtract energy from the main lobe,
that energy gets added elsewhere into the sidelobes or even backlobes.

OTOH, fore-and-aft (FAA) offset would probably result in a shallower
main lobe with rising major sidelobes on each side; i.e., the pattern
gets "split" into a pair of mainlobes with a notch in between.

I would think that one can physically-simulate FAA offset by changing
the phasing between a pair of aligned yagis. The amplitude would, of
course, remain the same for both. Thus, it may well be possible to
compensate for FAA offset by changing the phasing between the arrays
(this presumes that there is very little interaction between the two
yagis). It should be possible to calculate the necessary phasing line or
L-C circuit parameters; but how to do so is quite beyond my abilities to
comprehend 8-)

And if you have both FAA and STS offsetting, then you wind up with a
complex offset starburst pattern that looks like a cartoonish drawing of
an explosion  ===8-O

73,

Steve K0XP