[TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Feb 5 23:11:40 EST 2023

On 2/5/2023 7:57 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
> One of the nice things with the VNA is that you can do a calibration at
> the end of the coax, so you don't have to figure out what the coax is
> doing to the feedpoint impedance.  I mean, you also need to measure at
> the source end of the coax, because that's what keeps the amplifier
> happy, but when trying to figure out what's going on, the VNA provides a
> lot more information.

DG8SAQ's software for the VNWA he designed 10-15 years ago includes the
capability to subtract out a feedline whose electrical length is known.
I've often used AE6TY to subtract out the length of a feedline without
knowing its exact length, simply be exporting the data to SimSmith,
adding a negative length of line, making an educated guess as to its
length, and tweaking the length until I see the resonance.

You've got to do this anyway, even having good TDR data, given that VF
varies with frequency.

73, Jim K9YC