[TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Feb 8 19:17:24 EST 2023

On 2/8/23 2:55 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
> Jim & Jim,
>
> I should have clarified that I was speaking of the Rig Expert line.
> I'm wondering whether the ability to store multiple cal's on other
> units would overcome the ease of use of the AA devices - great UI,
> decent in sunlight, etc.
>
> I'm only wondering mind you :-)

Or, inspire people to make VNAs with sunlight readable displays.

Or, inspire people to make software for sunlight readable smartphones
(most of them) that can use the VNA as a peripheral.

It *is* interesting, since the utility of devices like the venerable
MFJ-258/MFJ-259 is starting to be a bit less obvious. (for instance,
when my MFJ died, I decided not to try fixing it... )

One could make a Arduino with daylight readable LCD that would connect
to a NanoVNA and display the same info a MFJ does (assuming you can
figure out how to make an Arduino a USB host. Or you could connect
directly to the serial port on the NanoVNA.

Blowing up a NanoVNA (not a NanoVNA2)) is a bit more difficult than
blowing up a MFJ - there's resistive loss ahead of anything sensitive on
the NanoVNA, so a strong signal would saturate but not destroy the backend.