[TowerTalk] Looking for typical size attic info

n1bkb at aol.com n1bkb at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 11:49:16 EST 2023

 During the 3+ years my XYL & I lived in an HOA controlled condo, antennas were a real issue.
The attic was designed such that I could not install any form of HF antenna ... so my solutions:
I first tried a 20m dipole stapled to the eaves of the 2nd floor and it worked okay ... but just barely.  The Zero-Five 10m - 40m HOA vertical that I installed in the patio planter with one ground radial was my salvation. I put it up when I was on the air and folded it over and broke it into 3 pieces when I was QRT. Only the 18" tall base in the flower bed was visible 24/7.  All the visible RG-8X coax got painted the color of the home so it blended into the background. A neighbor complained to the HOA about the vertical but when they inspected the home, they never saw or cited us for either outdoor antenna.
Given the height of the attic, the only antenna that fit was a GP-1 for 2m/70cm
Good luck with solving the problem! As I learned, it is indeed a challenge.
73,
Steve - N1BKB