[TowerTalk] Looking for typical size attic info

Scott Townley scott at nx7u.net
Mon Feb 13 17:01:37 EST 2023

Someone implied this but I'll expose it a bit more:  how attics are
built depends greatly upon the construction techniques used locally,
which in turn depend greatly upon the climate.

In my NJ house the attic is quite open and "easy" to walk around (if I
were only 5 feet tall it would be really easy!).  The roof trusses are
not too deep and there's quite a bit of room up there.  My house is
"old" enough (1984) to not have any radiant barriers, and the roof is
tar shingles.  You could easily put a hexbeam in there upside down (that
was a clever idea).

My old Phoenix house, the attic was absolutely jam-packed with ductwork
and the upstairs air handler for the A/C.  The biggest difference was
that the prevailing roofs there are spanish tile, which weighs TONS and
requires a much heftier (and more frequent) truss to support the
weight.  No chance of any HF antenna of reasonable size there. Oh and by
the way, in the SW USA HOAs are LEGION.

--
Scott NX7U