[TowerTalk] Coax Life Expectancy

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Feb 15 04:48:58 EST 2023

On 2/14/2023 9:52 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> Best to measure is old coax is what I learned.

YES! VE0JS gave me some marine coax, in return for me helping her with
RFI issues (and giving her a lot of cores) for her boat on which she has
now made four unassisted circumnavigations of the earth (two of them
shipwrecked near the end). She is the ballsiest lady I have ever met. In
her 70s, when a storm caused her wind generator to hit the deck, she
climbed the mast to restore it. On her most recent trip, she recovered
from nearly capsizing to finish. W6OAT, NI6T, and I made many QSOs with
her through the South Ocean on SSB at the latitudes of Crozet on 40M.
She was using an ICOM marine rig that had NO audio processing, loading
the backstay, with classically correct connection to the water as a
counterpoise.

Rusty, Garry, and I joined her for wine on the boat when she visited
Santa Cruz and Sausalito after her first successful trip. Check out her
qrz.com page -- the 2019 trip was her second successful trip. When we
visited with her after her first, we observed as she very sensitively
mentored the teen-age daughter of a Santa Cruz local who had supported
her trip.

That marine coax looked fine, but it measured as lousy quality. It went
in the trash.

73, Jim K9YC