[TowerTalk] Antenna traps

jcjacobsen jcjacobsen at q.com
Mon Jan 2 12:52:11 EST 2023

John, KK9A wrote:

Jim, are these fan dipoles?  I am not understanding how a loading coils will
make a dipole work on two bands.

John KK9A

John and others:

I've made MANY wire antennas using coils. In simple terms (which I can understand) what happens is, say an 80/40 dipole, the coils is made/wound with enough turns so on 40 it has a high enough inductive reactance to block rf flow any father. On 80 the coil acts as a plain load coil

W9INN used these properties on his wire antennas, even multi band (more than 2 bands). Yes bandwidth suffers on lower bands, but that's what they make antenna "tuners" for.

I believe Butternut uses something similar on their HF6/9V, HF2V, and with the 160 kit for same.

Hope this helps.
73 and stay well
K9WN Jake

PS: NOT an antenna Guru. Much to old for heavy thoughts like this.