[TowerTalk] TIC plastic gears

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:38:14 EST 2023

I've 3D printed knobs using 1/4" brass inserts with a set screw for the
shaft.  The inserts are knurled on the outside and you use a soldering
iron to get them hot enough to press into the shaft hole on the knob.
It works very well, and you get a recessed set screw for a tight
connection.  The downside for using it on a gear is that you need to
have a small hole for the set screw, but if the gear is wide enough that
might not matter.  It's possible, though, to get a very tight fit even
without an insert.

55 teeth could be dicey to print on a 7/8" OD gear, but the precision of
a good 3D printer is pretty amazing so it could be possible.  I use a
modeling program called OpenSCAD and it creates 3D objects using code
statements for geometric shapes, which makes it great for parts like this.

If N4TZ can send me some close up pictures with precise dimensions it
might be fun to give it a try.  No promises, though.  The biggest
concern I have would be getting the profile of the teeth correct.

I have an FDM printer (extrudes thin strings of melted plastic to build
up layers) and I can print with either PLA or PETG.  PLA is harder but a
bit more brittle.  PETG is more flexible, but it is tougher and seems to
be more slippery.

To be clear, I have no intention of doing stuff like this for money ...
nor for doing a lot of it.  This would simply be a one-off effort to
help out a fellow ham in need.  Somebody could probably try to make a
business out of it, and the material cost is peanuts, but I question
whether the time spent making custom parts could generate a decent
financial return.

73,
Dave   AB7E