[TowerTalk] DIY Air Wound Coils

Charles Gallo (KG2V) charlie at thegallos.com
Wed Jan 18 07:05:57 EST 2023

On 2023-01-18 06:05, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> QST had an article a month or two ago about using a 3D printer to make
> coil forms.  Not a word anywhere in the article on the carbon content
> in the material, or if it's lossy at RF.  First things that went
> through my mind, especially since the material was black plastic.  I'd
> put the coil form in a microwave and see if it heats up and see if it
> has any less-than-infinite resistance.
>
> 73
> Rob
> K5UJ

Probably fairly low in carbon - just based upon what I've seen for 3d
printers
The filament is probably one of 3 (well 2 actually - didn't see the
article) materials - exact composition is vendor dependent
1)PLA - this is an opaque plastic, tends to be dyed (not pigment filled)
- I DOUBT this is what was used, as it does NOT hold up well outdoors,
but easiest to print, and most common, so I mention it
2)PETG - Basically soda bottle plastic.  Most colors are slightly
translucent - aka, a dyed color.  Holds up way better outdoors, is
stronger, and slightly more temperature resistant
3)ABS - Yep, the same stuff pipe etc is made out of.  Much stronger,
temp stable, weather stable, BUT harder to print, as it has a strong
tendency to warp while printing (Basically you need an enclosure, or
luck)

The filament industry tries to keep anything abrasive out of their
materials, UNLESS it is stated it has fillers (Wood filament etc)

I wouldn't worry too much

--
73 de KG2V
Charles Gallo