[TowerTalk] Ring Rotors

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Jan 30 09:48:43 EST 2023

Last summer I put an OptiBeam OB4-40 on a Rohn 65 K0XG ring with a prop
pitch motor drive. I have another K0XG ring turning a homebrew 5el 20m beam.
The K0XG rotator is a beast, mine are over 400 pounds and it makes my TIC
1032 Rings look like kid's toys. Unfortunately it appears that K0XG products
are no longer being manufactured. Richard is almost 76 years old so maybe he
quietly retired. Hopefully he is doing OK. Actually no one in the US is
selling tower rotating hardware either but that is another subject. Prior to
installing my K0XG Orbital Rings, I turned a homebrew very heavy 6el 60ft
20m OWA (with 1 1/4 elements) and also two shortened 40m elements on the
same boom using a 3 decade old TIC 1032 and it worked OK. The rotator uses
two German windshield wiper motors so it is surprising it turned this load.
A TIC rotator may work for your however it would be nice if there was a
beefed up version.  If you cannot find a K0XG ring for sale on the used
market another option may be a heavy-duty rotating side arm using perhaps a
Yaesu G-2800 or a modified clamp M2 OR2800 rotator so you can have at least
partial rotation.

GL
John KK9A

John Webster NN1SS wrote:

I have a JK 404C side mounted to a Rohn 45 tower. It is currently fixed on
EU. It works great but now I want to rotate it. However, its weight (170
lbs) limits my choices.  The new TIC rings are not an option. I would
gladly buy a new one from K0XG if only he would answer my emails or return
my calls. So at the moment I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Or if
you have one that you can sell, let's talk. But keep in mind, this thing is
170 lbs.

73,
John
NN1SS