[TowerTalk] Ring Rotors

Gary Johnson gwj at me.com
Mon Jan 30 12:37:01 EST 2023

A datapoint for you. At N6RO, there’s an old M Squared 40M4LLDD on a swingarm, currently turned by a BIG-RAK. Specs say it weighs 185 lbs. It’s been up there since the mid-1980s and somehow just keeps working, though rotators have been replaced a number of times. The swingarm was built by N6BT, who also helped build the tower and everything else (this was long before my time). That mount is welded up from angle iron and water pipe, nothing fancy. The only problem we’ve had recently is that the fixing bolts on the RAK have crushed the mast, and it keeps slipping and needs regular re-tightening. Our winds are fairly mild here in NorCal but if it gets going >40 MPH sometimes the thing won’t turn.  Again, just a datapoint, but shows that it can work reasonably well. A nice ring rotator might be best. Hopefully you can find one.

-Gary NA6O