[TowerTalk] Ring Rotors

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Jan 30 21:03:06 EST 2023

Hi John,

I have two Rohn 45 towers (130' and 100') and four rotatable sidemounts
(swinging gates) on the 100' tower which holds four Hygain HG105CA and
four HG155CA yagis.  These are turned with T2X and Ham 4 rotators.

The sidemount at 37' used to stall during rotation because it was
slightly off vertical and the TB3 above it was too tight, causing it to
bind when it reached the same position each time.  If you can't get the
mast perfectly vertical and the sidemount perfectly horizontal, what you
can do is either substantially loosen the Thrust-bearing and keep it
very loose or if you need more "play", you can remove the thrustbearing
entirely.  That solved the binding problem. It was the one sidemount on
which we did not use a level to ensure that it was perfectly aligned.
That was an important lesson I learned and a mistake that I never
repeated.  ;-)

Regarding rotation around a tower on a sidemount, normally you should be
able to achieve 240 degrees minimum.  HOWEVER, with a little extra work
and foresight, after you find the 240 degree rotation point, if you
change the angle of the sidemount then you should be able to rotate it
more around the tower; almost to 300 degrees.

When you get the sidemount in place, play with it instead of tightening
it and you will see what you need to do to get that extra ~ 60 degrees.
With ~ 300 degree rotation you will be close enough to almost any
direction that you need.

Excellent idea using star guys.  I have two sets of star guys at 80' and
120' on my big tower (which has no sidemounts yet).  I believe that the
extra stability plus 6 extra guys is the only reason that the tower is
still standing after two hurricanes (including Sandy with 120 mph wind
gusts), three tornadoes and dozens of icestorms, Nor'easters and
microbusts.

73

Bob, KQ2M