[TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Jul 22 10:02:02 EDT 2023

I own a RT4500HD but waiting on cooler weather for installation.  It seems robust enough as it's replacing a small form-factor prop-pitch.  Between excessive water leakage after rebuilds and K7NV now SK, I was looking for an alternative.  The reliability of prop-pitch rebuilds has been disappointing.  N4CC and I have been changing them out every 1-2 years at a cost of $2,500 per rebuild.  Crazy.  We have a prop-pitch "graveyard" at our remote site with something like six prop-pitches needing repair.

What seems to happen is that water ingress is caused by excessive surface heat in the Florida summers, followed by cool rain.  This creates a suck-in effect.  Because a prop-pitch is mounted upside-down in a tower, the seal needs better protection without having to resort to a special covering.  In this regard, the DXE rotator seems much better.  In fairness, the prop-pitch was designed for a different application. But yes, only time will tell.

The first DXE rotator installation will turn a full-size 4L M2 40m monoband Yagi at 140 ft and a 9L M2 6m Yagi at 155 ft.  Both antennas are mounted on a 3-inch chromoly mast.  This fits within the DXE design spec.  In preparation for the installation, we used a crane back in April to change out a Rohn 3-inch thrust bearing with the equivalent type from DXE.  The DXE bearing seems much more robust.

Paul, W9AC