[TowerTalk] Connector needed

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Jul 27 14:50:40 EDT 2023

On 7/27/23 11:25 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 7/27/2023 11:12 AM, Joseph DeVincentis via TowerTalk wrote:
>> There is panel mount XLR.
>
> Sure -- I worked in pro audio, so am quite familiar with XLR. They
> come in configurations from three to six contacts, plus the shell. The
> only quality mfrs are Switchcraft (US) and Neutrik (EU). The
> three-contact series is the standard for balanced mic and line level;
> other configurations are for specialty applications, and only made by
> Switchcraft.

Neutrik makes 4 pin (used for 12-24 V camera batteries) and 5 pin (used
for lighting control via DMX-512). And 6 pin according to the Mouser
catalog - I have no idea what they're used for.  The pins are getting
pretty small by then.

25 years ago, we used to buy Neutrik at Electronic City (now closed) in
Burbank over Switchcraft.  They just seemed easier to solder and better
mechanically.

> They are modular -- shells can accept inserts with different number of
> pins, easy to solder to and assemble, sufficiently robust mechanically
> for use with portable cables in demanding field applications.
>
> I made the mistake of using them for SteppIR control wiring on the
> tower. Train wreck!

Yes, definitely not water resistant.  LEMO is popular in a similar
"inline" form factor (they used to have them immersed in a fish tank at
trade shows). I think there are other (Fischer?) They are significantly
more expensive. ($50 vs $5 kind of "significantly") and are in the
"finely machined swiss product" category - meaning, don't drop them in
the mud.  The XLR you can blow out with compressed air or even some
water, and it will mate.