[TowerTalk] Antenna 6 feet above the top of an AB-577

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:40:24 EDT 2023

I am planning to put a 3-element 6-meter yagi 6 feet above a C-3E
tribander, which in turn is supported by a Yaesu G-1000DXA rotator on
the top of an AB-577 tower.  An engineer ham friend has raised the
question about whether one can do this successfully, given the side
loads that could be applied to the rotator's case by wind, a 6-foot
lever arm and this small yagi (1.8 square feet of wind area in a pretty
sheltered location).

Yaesu, characteristically, shies away in horror from any such thing -
the manual recommends only using the rotator *inside* a tower, with a
thrust bearing above it to carry mast loading.  On the other hand, my
C-3E has survived 5 years mounted on top of the AB-577.  Their manual
writers are extraordinarily conservative, so I'm asking for real-world
experience. Have you mounted a small yagi like this above a G-1000DXA,
and if so, what and how far above?

--
73, Pete N4ZR