[TowerTalk] Words.

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon May 29 19:51:01 EDT 2023

On 5/29/23 3:25 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 1:20 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
>> Frankly, I don't think there's any need - the author of the Wikipedia
>> article clearly was European (probably British) and apparently their
>> usage and ours are different.
>
> Well done, Pete!
>
> For about 25 years, I've been Vice-Chair of the AES Standards
> Committee Working Group on EMC, a member of a half-dozen other WGs,
> and a principal author of a half dozen Standards. These are
> International Standards, so we often need to add clarifying language
> like this to cover both differences in use of words between cultures.
>
> It's not unusual for these documents to take 3-5 years to hammer out.
> Our issues are not political, but simply achieving both a common
> understanding of the technical issues involved, and getting the
> wording to describe requirements in a manner that both they and the
> technical issues are clearly understood.
>
> A key example was use of "shielding enclosure" as the proper
> termination point of cable shields, rather than talking about
> "grounding" it -- a connection to Mother Earth does NOTHING to provide
> shielding or the elimination of RFI.

same thing in the NEC (the building code, not the software) - there have
been several wording changes to make it more clear - that whole
grounding conductor (green wire)  vs grounded conductor (white wire -
neutral) thing.

And the changes from "grounding" to "bonding"

It does take years. And I'm sure all hams use nothing less than 12 gauge
hard drawn copper for their 80 meter dipoles - you could get away with
14 gauge for 40 meters, because 66 ft is less than 75 ft.