[TowerTalk] ...and another coax adapter question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Nov 24 14:53:58 EST 2023

On 11/24/2023 10:59 AM, Scott Townley wrote:
> How do I separate the wheat from the chaff?  I have a fully equipped
> bench...I would think the go-to would be a TDR measurement.  Any
> better/additional suggestions?

Look at them carefully. If they aren't labeled Amphenol or stamped with
MIL-spec numbers, they're junk.  It's all about mechanical construction.
Measurements won't show it.

I've bought surplus MIL-spec adapters at ham flea-markets. Amphenol
parts are sold by legacy electronics vendors like Allied, Newark, Arrow,
etc. There are a few ham vendors who sell them, but many also sell junk
connectors. The real thing is 2-3x more expensive. Here's one quality
vendor that sells both the real thing and the junk. They don't offer
quantity discounts, while the traditional electronics vendors do.

https://www.rfparts.com/sitemap

We sometimes need to study the Amphenol parts listing to know which
connector to buy. For example, they manufacture the solder-type PL259
with at least 4 different part numbers, all of which start with 83-1SP.
The one we want is the one with no suffix, because the body is silver
plated, and thus easier to solder to.

73, Jim K9YC