[TowerTalk] copper tank coils

Jim Lux jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Oct 1 20:46:48 EDT 2023

More than one engineer has been bitten by the nickel flash under the gold plating on microwave circuits - similar to the discussion in the article.  Yeah, silver plating is usually done to make it look pretty - and that isn’t often optimum for RF properties. There are plating processes that are intended for RF, but it’s specialized, and often with a much thicker plating than used for “pretty”.  You see it when silver plating aluminum (or carbon fiber) waveguides, for instance.

One other aspect of silver plating is that it can form whiskers - I’ve not heard about it as much as tin whiskers, but that’s probably because silver plating is pretty rare these days - if you want solderability, it’s gold, usually ENIG (gold over nickel).