[TowerTalk] The history of using multiple towers for directional purposes

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Oct 28 00:17:27 EDT 2023

This is a very interesting piece. The best job I ever had as a student
was working in Pete Johnson's consulting office. It was in 1961. Pete,
along with the late Carl Smith, had written the FCC technical Rules for
AM broadcasting after WWII, which included the standards for protecting
other stations from interference, how to document proposed antenna
designs in a license application, and how to make the field measurements
of a completed system to prove that they met their design goals.

Pete's practice consisted of the design of very sophisticated
multi-tower arrays, in which array geometry, as well as the amplitude
and phase of the current fed to each tower, was adjusted to produce the
required protections. And this for a broadcast band that had been full
for 20 years!

Our EE senior class got to tour both the WLW transmitter site and the
adjacent Voice of America site in Mason, OH. Until it was torn down
decades ago, the massive VOA antenna farm (two Sterba Curtains and
something like 21 Rhombics) was visible from I-75, roughly midway
between Dayton and Cincinnati. During our visit to WLW, they fired up
the 500kW rig into a dummy load, which was cooled by a water bath out
front of the building.

73, Jim K9YC