[TowerTalk] Rotator Replacement in LM354 Question

Rob Rob at drumon.com
Wed Sep 6 03:40:56 EDT 2023

Hi Group,

   I need to replace the TailTwister rotor. It is about 3 feet down from
the top. My antenna stack consists of a 20 foot 2" CM mast with a 4
element SteppIR at about 15" above the top plate with a 13 element 2m
beam up several feet and topped with a 27 element 70cm beam which weigh
very little. So most of the weight is the mast and SteppIR which I
figure is around 200 pounds. To replace the rotor, I need to lift the
mast up a couple inches to lift it off the top of the rotor.
There are 2 plates at the top of the LM354 spaced about 6" apart tied
together with a 6" tube that the mast slides through and is slightly
larger in diameter than the 2" mast so it is fairly snug.
   So my question is that if I were to pull up the mast, and removing
the rotor clamp, will the 6" tube be rigid enough to keep the stack from
leaning too far from vertical? My hope is that since the majority of the
weight is near the top of the tower, there is not an excessive amount of
force to want to tilt it over. Is that what this tube is designed for?
   Or is this not strong enough and I need to design a temporary bracket
of some sort or maybe nylon straps around the mast and each leg just
above the rotor to keep it centered?

Thanks,
Rob K6DQ

it won't want to