[TowerTalk] Opposing boom to mast plates?

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Sep 18 22:09:49 EDT 2023

I can see how the vectors might cancel out if you have two identical
antennas mounted the exact same way and pointed in the same direction on
either side of the mast but ONLY with a wind blowing STRAIGHT DOWN from
the sky to the top of the mast, and not in any compass direction from 0
to 360.  This is extremely unlikely, even during a down-burst.

Other than that I agree with the others who have said they do not see
how mounting antennas on either side of the mast vs. on the same side of
the mast helps in any way.  When the wind blows from any direction other
than exactly parallel to the mast, the total vector forces should be the
same as if both antennas were mounted on the same side of the mast.  The
elements and boom are of the same length, weight and materials so they
should be subject to the same vector forces.

73

Bob, KQ2M