[TowerTalk] Homebrew 30m beam

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Apr 30 15:27:16 EDT 2024

On 4/30/2024 11:56 AM, maflukey at gmail.com wrote:
> Just a question - but why Moxon 30m and not just 2-el?    Moxon
> advantage on 40m is the improvement of performance bandwidth compared to
>   "typical" design with shortened 40m elements.   30m band is only 50 khz
>   wide, which can be nicely covered even with shortened elements.

Excellent observation, especially the word "performance" with respect to
bandwidth. For all practical purposes, SWR bandwidth matters only in
terms of making power amps happy (like the 87A). What really matters is
bandwidth of the desired radiation efficiency and directivity.

Also, which variables are important can strongly depend on where we
live. Those on the east coast, for example, care a lot about F/B. Here
on the west coast, I don't care about F/B, placing primary importance on
forward gain and beamwidth over the needed bandwidth.

73, Jim K9YC