[TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

Jim W7RY jimw7ry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:49:41 EST 2024

I agree. I had this exact problem on 80 meters when living close to AM
broadcast. Put a balun at the feedpoint, and the problem went away.
I suggest to install a DC to ground balun at the antenna. This will
present a low impedance connection to ground for the broadcast band.

Granted this is 160 meters your talking about. I believe I traced my
issue to the rain gutters around the house.

Good luck with your issue.
Jim W7RY

On 2/27/2024 12:47 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I have no filter suggestions but just be aware if the interference is from
> rectification at your station, filters will not help.
>
> John KK9A
>
> From:	"Mike Ryan" K4CVL wrote:
>
> During the last 160m SSB contest it became obvious that I am in need of a
> serious broadcast band filter.  Though I currently have one in-line that I
> bought a dozen years ago (cannot recall what brand) I appear to be getting
> some bleed through from 1420 AM. If only it were good music, or even bad
> music. But the 'fire and brimstone' programs and subject matter are more
> than I can take. Suggestions?  - Mike, K4CVL

Thanks and 73, Jim W7RY