[TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Feb 28 15:45:49 EST 2024

A very good way to check for this is to put an attenuator (10 to 20dB)
between the radio and the antenna which is picking up the sort of
bleed-through Mike describes. If the bleed-through doesn't go away when
you add-in the external attenuation, the problem is likely NOT in the
radio. Switching in the radio's internal front-end attenuation isn't
always sufficient. I had a case where the bias on the PIN diodes that
switched high-pass filters into the receiver front-end of one of my
radios was being modulated by the very strong BCI from a nearby 4-tower
array that favored me more during the day. Switching in the radio's
front-end attenuation didn't help. I had to attenuate the signal ahead
of that PIN diode switched filter-bank in order to reduce the bleed
through.  When I did that, the bleed-through stopped, so I knew the QRM
was being generated inside the radio.

73, Mike W4EF.........