[TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 2 13:04:48 EST 2024

This situation is a textbook case of a very common syndrome
where people seeking help with an issue ask some arcane
technical question without simply saying what is the end
result they are trying accomplish, as if that were a secret,
which I doubt it is in this case.

As a free lance consultant I am used to cold calls from
potential clients where the mission to be done actually
is secret, and they try to compartmentalize me ...
or at least make me sign a CDA.

I agree with Joe's skirt preference.  However, that does
limit how high you can make the Zo.

Also, IMHO, the procedure should be described as RE-tuning,
not DE-tuning.  My understanding is that you must tune
the offending tower to parallel resonance at the frequency
where you wish it to vanish electromagnetically.  Not just
move the series resonance away from the vanishing frequency.

73
Rick N6RK