[TowerTalk] Trapped Antenna in the "formal" literature?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 8 20:12:39 EST 2024

On 1/8/2024 4:48 PM, Billy Cox wrote:
> Paget, L. (2006). Antenna Workshop-Len Paget GM0ONX explores the W3DZZ
> and says that it's a trapped multi-band antenna that shouldn't be
> discounted. Practical Wireless, 82(4), 32-35.

W3DZZ was local to me when I lived in Chicago, and I met him near the
end of his life. He also built and sold inductively loaded antennas that
he correctly stated were not traps -- I measured some and they
self-resonated well above the resonance of the shorter length band. You
may be aware of the design -- a loading coil near but not at the end of
a dipole for the higher band, followed by enough wire that the coil
resonates on the higher harmonically related band. I've studied those
designs by others in NEC, and subsequently designed a few myself.

73, Jim K9YC