[TowerTalk] Times Microwave Ultra-flex Survival?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Jan 22 13:54:33 EST 2024

LMR-UF is rated for outdoor use but I have also read that the rubber does
not hold up.  I have some LMR400-UF but it has never been outdoors very
long.  I assume that you're looking to minimize your coax loss.   I am not
aware of other low loss flexible options - LMR600UF has half the loss of
RG-213.  I would try it, maybe with a RG-213 coax loop so it's easy to swap
out if it deteriorates or gets damaged while extending the tower.

GL
John KK9A

Ed NI6S wrote:
Greetings,

Trying to figure out the best long-term solution for low loss coax up a
crank up tower.

I like LMR600 but have read that the Ultraflex (UF) it does not hold up well
against the elements, particularly ultraviolet rays.

Has this issue been remedied?  If not, what's a better coax for this
application?

Shireen also has their version of UF but not sure how that would hold up....

Appreciate your input.

73,
Ed NI6S