[TowerTalk] UST Tower MA770 Starting Motor Capacitor

Raymond Benny rayn6vr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 20:39:15 EST 2024

 I've had a MA770 tubular tower in the air for the last 15 years. I got it
second hand 20 years ago. It's probably 40 years old. I need to replace the
raising motor starting cap.I have the old cap in my hand and all I can read
is 375 MFD. The motor operates on 120VAC. The motor name/data plate has
been painted over, so I cannot read anything about it

I have several questions:
Does anyone have the make, model number or manufacturer info for MA770
motor? And the info on the starting cap?

How rigid is the 375MFD value? I have found on eBay a cap, 378-454 uF MFD
at 250VAC. Would this meet the starting cap value? I know I don't need 240
VAC rated, but one rating should not be a problem. The measurements given
for the cap will fit into the external cap holder.

Thanks,
Ray,
N6VR/W7YA