[TowerTalk] New N6LF Ground Probe Designs

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Mar 1 14:48:37 EST 2024

On 3/1/2024 10:44 AM, Brian Beezley wrote:
> Ground characteristics affect all antennas, but especially vertical
> antennas and antennas with low horizontal conductors.

YES! Ground characteristics are totally determinant in the performance
of vertical antennas, and contribute loss to end-fed wires in the form
of loss in return current (radials, counterpoise near ground). They have
no effect on other horizontal antennas.

In addition to loss due to return current in conductors near ground,
ground characteristics in the far field determine both the vertical
pattern of vertical antennas and overall field strength. If we have
lousy ground, verticals are a bad idea on any band below 40M.

And Rudy's work, like Brian's, can be taken to the bank.

73, Jim K9YC