[TowerTalk] SELF-SUPPORTING TOWER NEEDED IN THE MIDWEST

jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Mar 2 13:27:17 EST 2024

10 yrs ago, IO looked into this, more out of interest at the time.
 TRYLON's biggest self support tower in one of their series was  a max of
180' tall, and was 13' across at the base....and used 3 x separate pours of
concrete.   All bolted construction, using  angle steel.   I THINK the
angle steel at the base of the largest section was  8" x 8" x either 3/8"
thick..or 5/8" thick..    Price was $24,000.00  canadian dollars ( and alot
less in USD).
Consisted of 18 x 10' sections.  You can buy any sequentially numbered
tower sections. IE: for a 90' tower, I was looking at the middle portion,
with the base section being 6' across a side, and only one pour of
concrete.

They also make a 150' tall self support tower, which consists of 15 x 10'
sections.   ( I believe numbered 1-15), with #15 being the biggest.... and
is 6' center to center at the base.
ALL the sections are   welded, and use SOLID legs and solid cross pieces.
This tower uses a single concrete pour.   The bottom section legs are 2.5"
SOLID legs.  Then above that, the section legs get smaller, and also
narrower.   I was looking at buying just the bottom 90' of this tower.

Both towers are seismic rated, and also ICE rated.

Both plans bombed due to hassle with city hall, so ended up with a UST-
HDX-689.

Jim   VE7RF