[TowerTalk] New N6LF Ground Probe Designs

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Mar 2 18:09:56 EST 2024

On 3/2/2024 1:56 PM, Dave Curtis wrote:
>> N6BT has done work to show that the field strength and vertical pattern of vertical antennas is strongly dependent on ground slope.
>
>> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> Jim, do you have a pointer to Tom’s work? I’d like to see what he found.

I heard him present it a couple of times at Pacificon in the Antenna Forum.

The executive summary: Testing a vertical dipole on a mesa in AZ,
measuring with a drone, he found field strength in the far field below 0
degrees elevation when the antenna was very near a drop-off (that is,
the edge of the mesa). When the antenna was near  drop-offs in different
directions, he worked DX in the direction of the drop-off, but not near
the center of the mesa.

73, Jim K9YC