[TowerTalk] coaxial for jumpers and right angle connectors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Mar 30 14:57:04 EDT 2024

On 3/30/2024 9:38 AM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
> I had some trouble with my Alpha amp and reached back to make sure the
> right angle connector was tight. It was so hot that it burned my hand. No
> more right angle connectors!

You and I (and others in this thread) are the victim of junk connectors,
made to sell to CBers. They are made with a tiny spring for the center
conductor. REAL connectors and adapters are stamped with a MIL-spec
number or Amphenol, and don't have this problem.

When I got back on the air in 2003, not knowing this, I stocked up with
adapters at ham flea markets, buying myself a lot of problems over the
next several years, some of which were hard to troubleshoot. I've thrown
them all out, re-stocked with Amphenol and surplus MIL from hamfests.

I use RG400 for in-shack jumpers, but I also use right-angle connectors.

73, Jim K9YC