Logging FR/g stations

Pete Soper psoper@encore.com
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:45:45 EST

Tree writes:

> > TR does not recognize FR, FR/G, FR/E, FR/J, FR/T properly.
> > When FR/G it recognizes England, hi.
>
> These callsigns are tough exceptions.  If you enter them as FR/G/ON4UN,
> they end up in the correct country.  Maybe there is a better way to
> do this in the future - but I am not sure.  We never hear these calls
> here on the west coast!

I wonder if anybody's thought to make a grammar driven parser for
callsigns? By this I mean something composed of formal productions and
fed to a parser generator like you'd use to recognize the syntax of a
computer language. Seems like this might be a way to nail this area
down once and for all, as over time the various details would be
worked out until there were none left uncovered. Subsequent maintenance
shouldn't be too hard if the thing is freely available and visible. It
could be hooked to a Web page as a "final arbiter" about callsigns,
although it's name would start off as something modest like "mostly
accurate callsign lookup" :-) The finished parser could just serve as
a reference or maybe some of the loggers could incorporate it, depending
on the flexibility of their implementations.

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG