TR Log news

Tim Totten, KJ4VH kj4vh@iglou.com
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, LarryX Tyree (a.k.a. N6TR) wrote:

> Another neat idea Ville had, and N4TY came up with it just today as well,
> is to interface a footswitch to the program that can be programmed to
> perform a specific event (like emulate the footswitch or something).

Sounds cool!  I guess great minds think alike.  Now if Tyler could only
OPERATE as well as Ville, we'd NEVER lose at N4AR, HI!

> I also spent some time with OK2FD who is my Czech Republic distributor
> for the program (through SM3OJR who controls Europe).  Karel had some
> good ideas as well including implementing their VHF QSO point calculation
> which depends on the distance between grid squares for the QSO points.

If you put in the effort to write the code for this, perhaps you'll also
be able to do something I was thinking abt during the last VHF contest.
I'd like to be able to enter a grid square and display the great circle
distance and bearing to the center of the grid (4-digit) or even subgrid
(6-digit).  This might sound like fluff, but it would really be useful for
long-haul skeds and the like due to the narrow beamwidth of VHF/UHF
arrays.  Right now, I use a second PC or my Garmin GPS rcvr for such
calculations.  It might also have marginal benefit for the HF GRIDLOC or
TOEC contests.

For the benefit of those of you who weren't at our table at the WRTC
dinner, I asked Tree abt possibly adding a grid map feature.  He replied,
"It's already been done.  Try to keep up!"  Now THAT'S service--new
features are done before you even ask for them!

73,

Tim Totten, KJ4VH - kj4vh@iglou.com
    (also kj4vh@contesting.com)
    http://www.iglou.com/kj4vh/