FT1000 com

s57ad@s55tcp.ampr.org s57ad@s55tcp.ampr.org
Wed, 06 Nov 96 22:35:49 EST

K4XU@aol.com wrote:

>> I arrived at K0KE 45 min before the contest start and did not have time to
>> debug the interface with the FT-1000.  TR talked to it ok - love that r/l
>> shift tuning! - but it would not talk to the program. Changing the band on
>> the radio had no effect on the program.  Diddling with Yaesu timeout helped
>> not. Also, after doing some antenna engineering during the contest a mode
>> change on the radio resulted in a "non-ssb" mode on the screen which could
>> not be reset without going out of the program and reworking the logcfg.dat
>> file.
>> It's all history now but I would like to know what I did wrong (besides
>> missing WY).
>> -Dick

S51AY had the same problem with his FT-990, but then he put 1 kOhm resistor
between ground and TXD line and since then radio interface works perfectly!

>I had a the same problem with two radios,  Radio 1 IC781 would go to
>nonssb, nonfm, nonam, etc when radio 2 FT1000 would always track to be
>CW on all bands.

Your PC receives some data from the radio, but there come to collisions
between RX and TX datas. Increase Icom (Yaesu, K'wood) response time
(You can do this with Ctrl-J) - it helped at my IC-751A! You can come in the
same situation even without interfacing Your radio: just type in random
figure group (any frequency well out of ham bands) and You'll get NONSSB,
NONCW or whatsoever...

Before discovering that, I used next trick:

* Changed 'NONSSB' to actual band/mode with Alt-E (edit),
* Save frequency with '=' (A VFO equals B),
* Change band again to actual one with Alt-B (or Alt-V),
* Change VFO A to VFO B (where You saved Your working frequency)...

Anyway, it take lot of time, si I'm really happy with new 'Icom response
time' command!

S51AY reported at our local Contest Reflector, that in last CQ WW anything
crashed: Voice Blaster crashed after 7 hours of operation; TNC crashed just
prior the contest; he had some problems with SB-220, even menu settings
in his FT-990 failed, and the only thing which worked OK all 48 hours of
contest was TR, including radio interface!

73 de Mirko, S57AD
(S50D in major contests)