internet support?

Jeff Tucker jefft@atlanta.com
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:17:00

TR currently supports only a serial connection to packet cluster and
expects to find regular cluster data there.

However, you can be a little bit creative with this.  The GA Tech club
runs a Linux machine in the shack in support of some TCP/IP packet
stuff.  By setting the TR machine as a terminal off this linux machine,
they are able to log in and telnet to a packet cluster, all from TR.  This
way, they're able to get the data from the internet.

Another option is to put a modem (I presume internal would work and I'm
sure external would work) there and dial in to one of you campus computers.
>From there, you can telnet again.  I'm not sure if your campus computers
would be excited about tying up a phone line for 48 hours straight.  But,
there should be enough data that you wouldn't hit an inactivity timer.

As an aside, does anyone know of a program (probably a TSR) that intercepts
serial data and feeds it to a telnet session somehow.  This would allow you
to telnet straight from your computer without requiring an intermediary.

73
Jeff N9HZQ

 ----------
From:  BRUCE STRONG
Sent:  Tuesday, November 19, 1996 4:39 PM
To:  Jeff Tucker; trlog@contesting.com
Subject:  internet support?

We here at the Univ. of Arkansas are considering buying a contesting
program.  The choice, so far, is CT because that is what others are
used to.  Two of us have seen a bit of TR and would like to have that
considered, and also consider personal purchases.
  We are not in an area that has access to the dx packet cluster,
however, we can get that via internet.
  Our question: is there a way to get the internet packet cluster info
into TR so that TR could take advantage of the cluster information
so received?

  Thanks.
Bruce
AH2AK