Farnsworth Code

Larry Tyree tree@lady.axian.com
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 23:15:05 -0800 (PST)

Someone (I forget who) suggested using Farnsworth Code at slower
speeds.  I probably thought this was too hard and deleted the
message (which is why I forgot who suggested it).

At any rate - I have implemented a simple way to get the Farnsworth
effect.  The indicated code speed is the speed the letters are sent
at, but turning on the Farnsworth Enable increases the spaces
between letters and words using some sort of equation that makes
the spaces get exponentially larger the more you get below 25 WPM.

Does 25 WPM seem like a good cut in for this?  Listening to it, I
really like how it sounds as I get down around 18-20 WPM.

I will put out a new release maybe on Tuesday (before I go away
for a week) and you can play with it.  But if anyone has strong
feelings that 25 WPM isn't right, I can change it before the release.

I found one cosmetic bug with the network at W7RM - if you have a
network failure, the message looks a little funny as it is constantly
being rewritten.  Other than that, the network appeared to be working
great when I left 6 hours into the contest.   There are a few other
minor improvements coming with the network as well.
73 Tree N6TR
n7tr@jzap.com