Cntrl-\ in S&P mode (+ request)

D. R. Evans devans@lynx.colorado.edu
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:34:05 -0700

> On 25 Nov 96 at 8:30, Larry Tyree <tree@lady.axian.com> wrote:

> > After my experience this past weekend with TR 5.88, ctrl-\ needs to be replaced
> > with a single key push to log without sending CW.  There were too many times
> > where I wanted to S&P a station (probably on the 2nd radio) and didn't want to
> > be bothered with looking at the screen, putting TR in the S&P mode, and
> > pressing "Enter" - I simply grabbed the paddle and dumped in my call.  Hitting
> > ctrl-\ (or Alt-K) was a pain in the neck !  Give me a single key push to do the
> > same thing.
>
> Perhaps I will make it one of the commands you can program a function
> key to perform.  This might be tricky - but I will see.  Also, you may
> find that with more comfort with the program will have you grabbing
> the key less often.

FWIW, I find Alt-K just fine. The only real problem is that it requires
the right hand, which is a minor annoyance. Alt-A would be perfect
(although I suppose that's used for something else that I can't remember
off the top of my head).

I always have the nice fat keypad-0 programmed to send my call. I don't
think I had to hit the real key (except in emergencies where I was busy
editing the log) all weekend.

This was the first time I'd used packet with TR. Boy, that band map is
great. Now I just need to replace my aging 930 (or convince my clever
brother to come through with his promise to make me a computer interface
for the thing). I did think that spots aged off the screen too quickly.
Several times I had to go to the packet window and do a sh/dx/20 20 (or
whatever) to get back a bunch of still-valid spots.

How about if instead of "Packet says" it would say "WB0ABC says"??

The reason for asking for this is the following:
  The operators at K0RF frequently posted spots that were either a)
inaudible to ordinary mortals; or b) stations worked on K0RF's run
frequency (!)

For this reason, I frequently found myself forced to go to the packet
window and see who had posted a spot before toddling off to try to work
it. If K0RF was the source, I generally ignored the spot, since it was
often a waste of time to go looking for it.

And I LOVE the new custom characters.

D.R. Evans N7DR / G4AMJ :       devans@lynx.colorado.edu
Member, 1997 Nebula Novel Jury   al019@freenet.uchsc.edu

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://spot.colorado.edu/~romigj/drevans.html